Yes, I am talking about Christmas.
We have 2 small children. A 4 year old and a 2 year old. Benjamin (4) is super excited and counting down the days until Christmas, making crafts at daycare, looking longingly at the Christmas tree, and commenting on every store window display he sees. Jacob (2) couldn't care less, but is fascinated by the tree that suddenly appeared in the living room last weekend, and walks around saying "HO HO Chamas" which is Jacob-ese for Ho ho ho merry Christmas.
But do my boys actually know what Christmas is about. I sit here tonight pondering that thought. I think I have failed, as a Christian parent, to tell my boys the true story of Christmas. We say prayers and God even answers some of them, pretty quickly too, which is rather exciting to see and be a part of. But do my boys actually know who Jesus is? Where he came from?
I don't think they do. They are only little, and as a preschool/daycare teacher I know they don't need a lot of detail about the Christmas story yet, but I haven't told them anything. I am going to have to ask Benjamin in the morning what he knows already, from teachings at Sunday school and what he has heard in the carols he sings. He doesn't attend a Christian daycare so they certainly aren't teaching him about Jesus' birth.
For us this year Christmas is very different than those past. Money is really sparse. We have had a lot of unforeseen financial issues in the last 6 months since we moved and Rob's work situation changed. Living on 1 income is really, really hard. We have a budget but we blow it every single pay. Things are changing, Rob is now working, and his hours are increasing every week and it is making a HUGE difference to the financial woes. Christmas in the past has always been a time of indulgence for us. We have spent LOTS of money on the children. Our boys have wanted for nothing, and Rob's older two have been spoiled with generous gifts, and in the last 2 years, generous gift cards. This year things are different. We have been blessed with a brand new trampoline that my sister saw on sale one day and bought on our behalf. We are paying her back in the new year for it. Our other gifts for the boys were all bought at one shop. The box arrived today. It was much, much smaller than I had anticipated. I opened the box and divided out the gifts into 2 piles, one for Benjamin, one for Jacob. The piles are small. I keep telling myself that there is a trampoline as well and the boys will be over the moon with what they are getting. Yet at the same time I am not satisfied. Benjamin has asked numerous times for a certain gift, he even wrote it on his letter to Santa, and told Santa on the Santa phone what he wanted. A remote control car. There was no remote control car in the box that arrived today. There will not be a remote control car under the tree this year. I hope he will not remember and that he will be satisfied with what he receives.
Anyway, it all brings me back to focusing on the real reason of Christmas. The 3 wise men bought Jesus the best gifts they had. We are bringing our boys the best we can do with the money we have. I need to teach them the story of Christmas. I need to show them how we can give to others and receive pleasure from that. I need to teach them that it isn't all about what we are getting from others, but it is about what we can give to others. I don't want my boys to be spoiled rotten children who want more and more. I want them to be generous givers.
Lord please help me to teach my sons the story of Christmas. Help me to share with them about your life here on earth, and about how wonderful it is to know who You are. Help me to tell them about You in a way they will understand. Help me to bring my sons up to follow You and to be lead by You. God I need your help this holiday season more than ever. Help me to be a generous giver, not of actual presents, but of my heart, and of my time. Help me to serve others.
God, show me and teach me how to help others who are struggling this holiday season, for whatever reason, grief, financial pressure, illness, loneliness, etc.
God, help me to understand what Christmas is really all about.
1 comment:
What a good mother you are to write such an honest post and pray such an earnest prayer. I think it is incredibly hard for Christian parents to celebrate the true meaning of holidays when they have been so commercialized. And I'm not even a practicing parent yet! :) God is speaking to your heart this holiday season, and I pray He gives you the words to speak to your children.
Post a Comment